Easy Homemade Sambhar
by Mathivanan Devadoss
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9199 times
A yummy sambhar recipe which can be made easily at home.
- Combine the tamarind, 1/2 tomato and 1 onion to the dal, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles or till the dal is completely cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and whisk the dal till smooth. Keep aside.
- Combine the onion, 1/4 tomato, jaggery and all dry masalas and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the red chillies and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the onions, pumpkin and tomato and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and salt, mix well and cook for more 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add enough water to get thin consistency and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Add the coriander and serve hot with hot idlis, coconut chutney and ghee.
This recipe was contributed by Mathivanan Devadoss on 22 Sep 2011I am an Indian Chartered Accountant, living in Saudi Arabia working for a bank as AGM.
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.