Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4718 times
This is a very tasty preparation that goes well with anything - rice or roti or idli or dosa. The dish comes very handy particularly in rainy days or the days when you are left with no vegetables to cook. . Take care that the ground dal should not be fried too much.
- Wash and soak both the dals in enough water for 2 hours.
- Combine the coconut and red chillies and blend in a mixer into a smooth paste.
- Add the dals and blend again to a coarse paste.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add the asafoetida and ground dal paste and salt, mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool and divide the mixture into equal portions.
- Shape them into small equal sized balls and keep aside.
- Heat a kadhai, add all the ingredients minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mxier to a smooth powder.
- In the same kadai boil the tamarind water, add the turmeric powder, salt and jaggery, mix well and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared dumplings two at a time and wait for them to come to the top of the gravy.
- Add another 2 dumplings and repeat the process till all the dumplings are cooked.
- Add 3 to 4 tsp of the sambar powder in 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the sambhar and boil for another 5 minutes.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Pour this tempering to the sambhar and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- Season the sambar with the seasoning ingredients.
This recipe was contributed by Ranganayaki on 23 Oct 2018I teach English. Have written 2 recipe books, which are yet to be published. Most of these recipes a...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.