Added to 114 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 203016 times
Every culture has it's own version of the dum aloo. However dum aloo is by far the tastiest and richest of them all! the potatoes are stuffed with a rich filling of khoya, cashewnuts raisins and green chillies and then deep-fried in ghee. You could substitute the ghee for oil while deep-frying or even bake parboiled potatoes after stuffing.
- Peel the potatoes and prick them at few places.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and deep-fry the potatoes till they are cooked.
- Scoop the potatoes and mash the scooped portion and keep aside.
- Stuff the potatoes with the prepared stuffing mixture.
- Apply the mashed potatoes on top to cover and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms.
- When they crackle, add the prepared paste and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and sugar and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes and keep aside.
- Place the potatoes in the hot gravy and serve immediately.
- Alternatively, bake with the gravy in a pre-heated oven at 225ºc (450ºf) for 10 minutes and serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.