Doodhi and Spinach Dal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6741 times
While making the baghar sauce, boil the tamarind juice well so the raw taste of tamarind goes while frying the masala, alternate the heat and make sure not to burn the ingredients. As soon as you get the first sneeze, its done.
- Combine the dal, bottle gourd, spinach, green chillies and salt in a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles, or till the dal is cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till it softens a little.
- Add the turmeric powder, tamarind juice and the jaggery and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add this sauce and salt to the cooked dal and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the powdered masala and mix well.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by motis on 29 Jul 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.