Doodhi Muthia ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 452 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 642020 times
Muthia is a fist-shaped steamed snack that's much-loved by the Gujaratis. Doodhi and onions when combined with an apt combination of semolina and flours like whole wheat flour and besan yield delicious Doodhi Muthias.
Ingredients like ginger, green chillies and coriander give the muthias a zesty flavour while a traditional tempering of mustard and sesame seeds gives it an appetizing aroma and awesome crunch. Enjoy the Doodhi Muthias right off the steamer.
- Squeeze out excess water from the grated bottle gourd and onions and discard the liquid.
- Combine the bottle gourd, onions, whole wheat flour, semolina, besan, ginger paste, green chilli paste, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, lemon juice, sugar, coriander, baking soda, ½ tsp of asafoetida, salt and 1 tsp of oil in a bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough.
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approximately 150 mm. (6") length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange 2 rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 minutes.
- Repeat step 5 to steam 2 more rolls.
- Remove, cool slightly and cut into 12 mm. (½”) slices and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves, sesame seeds and remaining asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a 30 seconds.
- Add the muthia pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour and crisp.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.