Doodhi Muthia ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 410 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 476064 times
Here is another tea-time snack that is sure to please you. “muthi” means fist in gujarati, and the dish is named such because the mixture is shaped into cylindrical rolls using the fist. One thing to remember while making doodhi muthia is that bottle gourd has high water content. This water itself is sufficient to impart softness to the muthias, and it is not necessary to add any more water while making the dough.
- Squeeze out excess water from the grated bottle gourd and onions and keep the liquid aside to knead the dough if required.
- Combine the bottle gourd, onions, whole wheat flour, semolina, besan, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, lemon juice, sugar, coriander, soda bi-carb, asafoetida, salt and 1 tsp of oil in a bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough adding water if required (use th
- Apply ¼ tsp of oil on your hands and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approximately 150 mm. (6") length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange the rolls on a greased sieve and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly and cut into 12 mm. (½”) slices and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the muthia pieces and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour and crisp.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||170.4 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|
|Folic Acid||35.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.