Dhan Saak Dal ( Zero Oil Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 124 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48950 times
A Parsi delicacy modified into a healthy and easy-to-make dal. Dhan means cereals and pulses, and saak means vegetables. These combine here to make a wholesome meal!
It is traditionally served with Brown Rice to make a complete nourishing meal. Dare to add green and red pastes to send your taste buds on an enjoyable, adventurous journey!
Add your private note
Dhan Saak Dal ( Zero Oil Recipe ) recipe - How to make Dhan Saak Dal ( Zero Oil Recipe )
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 6 servings
- Clean, wash and soak all the dals in water for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dals, mixed vegetables, spring onions, fenugreek, tomatoes and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and whisk the dal. Keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the green paste, red paste and ginger-green chilli paste and dry roast for a few minutes while stirring continuously. Sprinkle a little water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the cooked dal and vegetable mixture, tamarind pulp, garam masala, salt and ½ cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with browned rice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.