Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5758 times
A staple spicy lentil preparation, common to most south indian households, dhal rasam is made from dals which are boiled and then simmered in tomatoes.
- Pressure cook the dal along with salt and turmeric powder till soft.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Strain the water and preserve the water.
- Add the tamarind water in a deep pan and bring to boil.
- Add the tomatoes, asafotedia , salt, rasam powder and 3 cups water, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the dhal water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add this tempering to the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
This recipe was contributed by pearlie on 28 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.