Dal and Rice Dosa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 835 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 66478 times
Quite different from the usual dosa in appearance and flavour, the Dal and Rice Dosa has a dominance of dal flavour, which combines beautifully with sambhar and chutney.
As a more flavourful and aromatic variant, you can add finely chopped methi leaves or drumstick leaves to the batter before making this dosa.
If doing so, make sure you chop the leaves real fine so that it does not hinder spreading of the dosa.
- Soak the rice, urad dal and chana dal in enough lukewarm water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 2 hours.
- Drain, wash and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 2 cups of water.
- Transfer the batter into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
- Once fermented, add approx. 2 tbsp of water and mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 225 mm. (9”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear a little oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 24 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar, coconut chutney and spicy onion chutney.
Nutrient values per dosa
|Vitamin A||55.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||18.2 mcg|
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.