by Tarla Dalal
Added to 95 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50531 times
Pandoli is a Gujarati snack cooked in a unique style using a double boiler. Chola dal reinforces this recipe with nutrients like protein , calcium , iron and folic acid.
However, it is very important to soak the dal for a few hours to increase its digestibility. You can also make pandolis in moulds. I have added spinach to make the pandolis interesting and colourful; actually, you can add any leafy vegetable of your choice.
Enjoy this healthy steamed snack with Healthy Green Chutney or Healthy Coconut Chutney .
- Wash and soak the chola dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 3 hours. Drain well.
- Combine the chola dal, spinach, green chillies, curds and 1 tbsp of water in a mixer and blend it till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Add the fruit salt over the batter and mix it gently.
- Tie a muslin cloth on top of a deep vessel, which is half-filled with water and heat till the water boils.
- Put spoonfuls of the batter on the muslin cloth at regular intervals. You can make 5 pandolis at a time.
- Cover the vessel with a dome-shaped lid and steam in a steamer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make 5 more pandolis in one more batch.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values per pandoli
|Energy|| 19 kcal|
|Protein|| 1.5 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 3.2 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.1 gm|
|Fibre|| 0.9 gm|
|Calcium|| 11.1 mg|
|Iron|| 0.5 gm|
|Folic Acid|| 11.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.