Dal Makhani ( Know Your Dals and Pulses )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 152 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53014 times
A rich and luscious variety of dal ideal for a festive meal! one of the most well-known recipes made using whole urad.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad and rajma overnight.
- Drain, add salt and 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the urad and rajma are overcooked.
- Allow the syeam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mix well till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato pulp and cook on a medium flame till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add the dal mixture, ¾ cup of water and salt if required and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well. Serve hot garnished with coriander and butter.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.