Dal Kabila ( Diabetic Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 52 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31961 times
The mughals made use of every kind of dal they knew to prepare mouth-watering dishes such as this one. Made with urad dal (or split black lentils), this dal gains its colour and spiciness from the whole kashmiri red chillies. This dal should be eaten hot as it tends to become thick and mushy when cold. Also avoid going overboard with the cream as this too will lead to the texture of the dal turning sticky. High in protein, iron, folic acid and zinc, none can deny the nutrient value of this dish!
- Drain the urad dal, add 2 cups of water and salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles till the dal is cooked. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and red chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and tomatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- When the seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt (if required) and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the urad dal and lemon juice, mix well and simmer for another 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 164 calories|
|Protein|| 9. 5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 24. 3 gm|
|Fat|| 3. 1 gm|
|Vitamin c|| 13. 5 mg|
|Iron|| 1. 7 mg|
|Folic acid|| 61. 5 mcg|
|Zinc|| 1. 1 mg|
|Fibre|| 0. 7 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.