Dal Balls In Indian Gravy - Unda Curry
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7140 times
If you want a different taste, mix some maida and water and dip the dal balls in it and deep fry in oil, before putting into the gravy. this gives it a different taste.
another variation of this is dal balls in Chinese gravy.
Add your private note
Dal Balls In Indian Gravy - Unda Curry recipe - How to make Dal Balls In Indian Gravy - Unda Curry
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
- Wash toordal, & chana dal & pressure-cook, along with the green chilies and curry leaves, ginger paste and a pinch of turmeric with just enough water. if water is more, you’ll have difficulty in making the balls.
- Once it is cooked well, mix the cooked ingredients along with grated coconut.
- Make the mixture of step 3 into balls, which are of gooseberry size. if you are having difficulty in making the balls stay together, you can just use some flour for keeping them together.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for few mins and make a pulp out of it, by squeezing it. this squeezing can be done 2-3 times to get the whole pulp out of the tamarind.
- Put the tamarind pulp in a vessel and keep it for boiling. add turmeric powder, heeng powder, and salt and boil this pulp. the pulp should not be very thick, if it is very thick, make it watery by adding some water, so that it can boil and become thick later on.
- Let this boil for 5 minutes or till it is reasonably thick (it should not be as thick like a chutney, but should be flowing in consistency).
- Add sambhar powder to this and let it boil for 5 more minutes
- Now add the dal balls to this gravy & boil for a few mins.
- Take out from the gas and season it with mustard seeds, jeera & a little bit of methi seeds.
- This curry goes well with plain rice.
This recipe was contributed by syamala on 18 Oct 2000
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.