Dakho ( Khati Mithi Dal with Vegetables )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18706 times
This one’s a great meal by itself. Nutritious and tasty, it can be cooked in a jiffy if you have everything cleaned, chopped and ready in hand. Toovar and chana dal are cooked with a melange of vegetables: pumpkin, brinjal and potatoes seasoned with spices, tamarind, jiggery and more for a sweet-sour tasty meal.
- For the dal and vegetable mixture, wash the dals, vegetables and colocasia leaves and add 3 cups of water.
- Cook in a pressure cooker. Cool slightly and blend in a liquidiser. Keep aside.
- For the tamarind-jaggery water, wash the tamarind, add the jaggery and ¼ cup of water and boil until the tamarind is soft.
- Pass this mixture through a sieve and keep aside.
- To proceed, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the mustard seeds, cloves, cinnamon, red chillies and chilli powder for a few seconds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and then the dal and vegetable mixture.
- Add the tamarind-jaggery water, turmeric powder, salt and ¾ cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with the chopped coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||597.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B3||3.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||178.3 mcg|
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.