Dabeli ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 312 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 560945 times
Dabeli, a spicy potato mixture combined with onions, garlic chutney, meetha chutney, spiced masala peanuts and fruits like pomegranates and grapes… how can the equation go wrong! serve plain or smeared with butter and grilled on a tava! since dabeli masala is easily available in provision stores, you can easily recreate the roadside experience
Add your private note
Dabeli ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes ) recipe - How to make Dabeli ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 dabeli
- Combine the dabeli masala, meethi chutney and a little water (approx. 1 tbsp) in a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the prepared dabeli masala mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mashed potatoes, salt and a little water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, transfer it to a plate and press well with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the coriander, coconut and pomegranate on top. Keep aside.
- Take a pav and slit it on two sides at right angle (keeping them joined at the remaining 2 ends).
- Apply 1 tsp of geeli lehsun ki chutney and 1/2 tbsp of meethi chutney evenly on the inner sides of the pav.
- Stuff with 2 tbsp of the stuffing and top with 1 tsp of onions, 1 tsp of masala peanuts and 1 tsp of sev.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more dabelis.
- Just before serving, cook each dabeli on a hot tava (griddle) for a minute using a little butter.
- Serve immediately garnished with sev.
Dabeli Video by Tarla Dalal
Dabeli ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes ) recipe with step by step photos
- In the recipe provided below, we have used market bough dabeli masala but, you can make a batch of fresh aromatic batch of Homemade dabeli masala powder using our recipe.
- Also, our website has a recipe for the meetha chutney made using dates and imli.
- Double roti or Kachchhi dabeli can also be perked up by applying green chutney or proceesed cheese.
- When grapes are in season, you can pep up the masala with chopped grapes along with pomegranate.
- To make the potato stuffing for dabeli, first we will make a dabeli masala paste. In a bowl take some dabeli masala, use the readymade masala available in the market or for a fresher aroma and taste make it at home.
- Then add the meethi chutney. Combine the two together, if needed add some water and mix well. Dabeli masala and meethi chutney paste is ready.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add oil. Then add the prepared dabeli masala paste and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes and salt to taste.
- Add water as required and mix well.
- The potato stuffing for making dabeli is ready.
- Transfer the potato stuffing in a plate and press to level it, sprinkle chopped coriander.
- And grated coconut.
- Finally add some pomegranate on top. The potato mixture for stuffing the dabeli is ready.
- Take a pav and cut it horizontally from the centre, but do not cut fully. Spread some geeli leshun ki chutney on the lower side of the pav. Here I have used the regular laadi pav. The dabeli pav used in kutch is a little round in shape.
- Spread some meethi chutney on the lower inner side of the slit pav.
- Spread some geeli leshun ki chutney and meethi chutney on the inside upper inner side of the slit pav.
- Then spread the prepared dabeli mixture over it.
- Press it with the back of a spoon or knife.
- Sprinkle chopped onions and masala peanuts over it.
- Sprinkle sev on the stuffing and press the pav. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make more dabelis.
- Just before serving melt some butter on a non- stick tava (griddle). Place the prepared dabelis over it, add some more butter and toast the dabeli on the hot tava (griddle).
- Turnover the dabelis and toast on the other side. You can decide how crisp you want them.
Transfer the hot toasted dabeli on a plate. Then roll each dabeli over the sev, so as to cover it on the edges.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dabeli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.