Cracked Wheat and Oats Kozhukattai
by Vidya Srinivasan
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3128 times
Kozhukattai is a Traditional south Indian breakfast. As a healthy twist I have used oats and broken wheat instead of broken rice.
- Dry roast the broken wheat and oats till a nice aroma comes.
- Put it in a blender and blend it coarsely. Transfer to a plate
- Add oil to the pan. After the oil is hot, temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, chnna dal, red chilli and asafoetida.
- After it splutters, add 4 cups of water, coconut and salt to taste. Bring to boil.
- Once the water starts boiling add the broken wheat and oats, mix well and cook till all the moisture evaporates and broken wheat and oats are half cooked.
- Sprinkle some water if required.
- Remove from the flame and cool.
- Form balls with it when the half cooked wheat and oats are not too hot to handle.
- Let it not cool too much, at the same time, it should not hurt the hands.
- Steam the balls in a steamer for 8 to 10 minutes or till they are cooked.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by Vidya Srinivasan on 04 Dec 2014I am Vidya Srinivasan.I am basically from chennai currently residing in US. I enjoy cooking and love...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.