Coconut and Rava Ladoo ( Laddu)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 127 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 297917 times
With the chewy texture of coconut, the rich flavour of roasted rava, the crunch of nuts and dried fruits, and the intense aroma of spices, this Coconut and Rava Ladoo is a mouthful of delight that nobody can resist!
Although the procedure is a little long, requiring a spot of cooking and a period of cooling, the method is actually easy and foolproof if you follow the instructions properly, so you will find it completely worth the effort and time spent.
The best part is that these ladoos will be thoroughly enjoyed by kids and adults as well. You can also pack this sweet Traditional Indian Favourites for your kids tiffin and yours too.
- Dry roast the semolina in a non-stick kadhai on a slow flame for 3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, add the coconut and mix well. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar and 1 cup of water in a sauce pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for approx. 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep this sugar syrup aside to cool slightly.
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai and add the semolina-coconut mixture, cashewnuts and raisins, mix well and cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar syrup, saffron and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Transfer the mixture into a 10” (250 mm. ) diameter thali and spread it evenly using a flat ladle. Keep aside to cool for 2 hours.
- Once cooled, scrape out the mixture from the thali and again mix well.
- Divide dough into 26 equal portions and shape each portion in between your palms into a round ladoo.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container.
- These ladoos stay fresh in an air-tight container for a week at room temperature.
Coconut Rava Laddoo Video by Tarla Dalal
Coconut and Rava Ladoo ( Laddu) recipe with step by step photos
- To make Coconut Rava Ladoo first take semolina in deep non-stick kadhai.
- Then dry roast the semolina on a slow flame for 3 minutes. This will remove the raw taste and also if the semolina is not roasted the ladoos will be sticky.
- Switch off the flame, add the freshly grated coconut. Mix well and keep aside.
- In another sauce pan take sugar.
- Add water.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for approx. 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Keep this sugar syrup aside to cool slightly.
- Now in a deep kadhai heat the ghee.
- Add the semolina-coconut mixture.
- Add chopped cashewnuts.
- Add raisins. Then mix well and cook on medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar syrup.
- Add the saffron strands. Saffron will give out a nice yellow tinge and flavour to the ladoos.
- And cardamom powder for flavour and aroma.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring continuously. The mixture will thicken and release some ghee.
- The Coconut Rava Ladoo mixture is thick and ready.
- Spread the Coconut Rava Ladoo mixture in a thali and keep aside to cool. It will take about 2 hours to cool completely.
- Once cooled, scrape out the mixture from the thali , bring it together and again mix well.
- Now take a portion of the mixture shape it into a round ball.
- Roll between your palms to make a round ladoo. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make more ladoos.
The ladoos are ready to serve or store in an air-tight container. Serve with savoury dry snacks like Chaklis and Chivda.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per ladoo
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.