Coconut Capsicum Dal
by Foodie #558252
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3770 times
I always like innovative dals. Most of the dals are made in north indian style. Therefore, i wanted to make a typical south indian one. This goes very well with plain rice, green peas pulav and also with rotis if you have an additional sorth indian subzi.
- Clean, wash and pressure cook the toovar dal along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for 2-3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Combine the coconut, green chilies and tempered mustard seeds and blend in a mixer into a smooth paste. Transfer in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the remaining mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- When the seeds crackle, add the capsicum, asafoetida, turmeric and salt, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tamarind water and bring to boil.
- Add the salt, coconut paste and jaggery, mix well and allow it to boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal, mix well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #558252 on 18 Jan 2012
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.