Choux Pastry, French Light Pastry Dough with Eggs
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 47 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21034 times
Choux Pastry is a light, crisp and airy pastry dough that can be used to make many delicacies like éclairs and profiteroles. It is a delight to watch the pastry dough puff up inside the oven and gradually acquire a golden colour and irresistible crispness.
This recipe shows you how to make amazing Choux Pastry dough using eggs. To make choux pastry, the consistency of the dough is very important. When the butter, water, sugar and salt are boiled together, you must cook it till the moisture content evaporates from the butter.
Also, ensure that the eggs are at room temperature. Once the flour is added, make sure it does not change colour—it must remain a nice light yellow. The dough has to be sticky and have a string-like consistency when you lift it with a spoon.
This indicates that the dough is ready for shaping and baking, and your éclairs and profiteroles will come out beautifully light. You must use this dough immediately—it cannot be stored as the fluffiness will vanish.You can also use this pastry dough to make Strawberry Cream Puffs .
Cinnamon French Toast and Brioche Loaf are other must try French bread delights.
- Break the eggs in a deep bowl and mix it well using a whisk. Keep aside.
- Combine the butter, sugar, salt and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the plain flour gradually, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring it continuously and forming a smooth lump.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and allow it to cool completely.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, add the beaten eggs gradually and beat it using an electric beater till the dough gets sticky and a string like consistency.
- Use this dough to make chocolate eclairs or profiteroles.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.