Chitranna Rice ( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 70 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 84635 times
Chitranna is a very popular South Indian recipe, which is considered very auspicious and made on festival days as an offering to God. People don’t mind standing in long queues to get their share of Chitranna prasad at temples. Owing to the ease of making it and the convenience of being a one-dish meal, Chitranna Rice is a popular choice for packed lunches too. The only difference is that you can add onions when making it casually and without onions for prasad. This famous South Indian rice dish is made by tempering cooked rice with traditional ingredients like mustard, dals and peanuts, perking it up with onions and coconut, and flavouring it with lemon juice. The crunch of peanuts, the flakiness of coconut and the tang of lemon juice ensure a good balance of texture and taste. You will surely enjoy this easy and convenient recipe.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and raw peanuts and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the dry red chillies and onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, asafetida and coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, lemon juice and salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, finally add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Chitrana Rice Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||71.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||10.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.