by Tarla Dalal
Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29035 times
Malagapadi (or Molagu pudi) in South India is prepared and stored in containers to accompany dosa, idlis and rice even. This dish is a heady concoction of rice, malagapadi, roasted peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, coconut flakes and spices that simply must be eaten immediately!
- Mix and dry roast all the ingredients. When roasted, powder and store in an air-tight container.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 5 cups of water, add the rice and cook till the rice is done, each grain of the cooked rice should be separate. Drain and discard the water and cool the rice.
- Roast the peanuts and sesame seeds separately and powder them coarsely.
- Heat the ghee, add the chana dal and mustard seeds and roast for 1 minute.
- Add the dry red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and cook for further ½ minute.
- Finally, add the cooked rice, coconut, tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, malagapadi powder, roasted peanuts, sesame seeds and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.