Chinese Vegetable Seller ( Vegetable Carvings)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20610 times
Say hello to the exotic china man who has travelled far and wide to bring you his booty!
Add your private note
Chinese Vegetable Seller ( Vegetable Carvings) recipe - How to make Chinese Vegetable Seller ( Vegetable Carvings)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 1 vegetable seller
- Place the big brinjal on a chopping board and trim the tip using a knife. This side will face upwards.
- Similarly trim off the tip of the other 2 small brinjals, using a knife.
- Trim the other side of the big brinjal using a knife. Repeat this step for 2 small brinjals also.
- Peel the carrot, place on a chopping board and cut a thick slice using a knife.
- Attach the carrot slice to the big brinjal ( on the side facing downwards) with the help of a pin. Keep aside. This becomes the body of the vegetable seller. Keep aside.
- Take another carrot slice and trim it a little from both the sides using a knife. This becomes the feet of the man.
- Attach both the carrot pieces (feet) to both the small brinjals ( legs) using pins.
- Place one brinjal (leg) on a chopping board and trim a little along the side using a knife. Repeat the same with the other small brinjal (leg).
- Join both the small brinjals (legs) using 2 pins.
- This is how the legs will stand on a flat surface fater joining pins.
- Attach the big brinjal (body) with the help of 2 pins.
- Take a lemon and make eyes and mouth using a black marker pen.
- Using a yhin slice of white radish and carving knife, carve out a thin beard. Attach it under the nose, using pins. Attach the lemon (face) to the big brinjal (body) using a pin.
- Attach the 2 green chillies (as hands) on the upper side of the big brinjal (body) using pins. Keep aside.
- Place another lemon on a chopping board and cut it into a little more than half. Use the biggerpart to make the basket and discard the smaller part.
- Make small v-shaped cuts along the sides of the lemon using a knife.
- Squeeze out the juice from the lemon.
- Immerse the lemon in the water and squeeze with your hands gently till the inner fibres are removed.
- You should get a clean hollow in the lemon like this.
- Cut a thin piece from the peeled carrot and attach it to the lemon (basket) using pins. The basket is thus complete.
- Slide the basket onto the green chillies (hands) of the vegetable seller. Keep aside.
- Place a beetroot on a chopping board and cut around 2 cm. From the tip.
- Scoop a little from the inner side of the beetroot so that hollow if formed and it can easily be placed on the lemon (face). This is the hat.
- Place the beetroot piece (hat) on top of the lemon (face) and the vegetable seller is ready.
- To complete it, put some chopped veggies into the baskets.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.