Chettinad Fried Chutney
by Priya Alagappan
This recipe has been viewed 3288 times
In Chettinad food, the most important spices used are whole red chillies, and sombu (fennel seed) pattai (cinnamon), lavangam (cloves), bay leaf, karu miLagu (peppercorn), jeeragam (cumin seeds), and venthayam (fenugreek).
I learnt this chutney from my mother in law. As she hails from chettinad region , i learnt many recipes from her after my marriage. This Vadhaki Araitha chutney is the best combination with Idli, Dosa, Adai, Wheat Dosa etc.
Add your private note
Chettinad Fried Chutney recipe - How to make Chettinad Fried Chutney
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 3 to 4 servings
- Make seasoning by heat a kadai with 2 tsp of oil and add all the above ingredients one bye one.
- First add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- After it splutters, add urad dal and chana dal.
- Fry them for a sec and add both green chillies and red chillies.
- Saute well till the colour changes.
- Now add the chopped shallots, salt and saute them for 5 mins till they turn transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft and smooth.
- Last add the coriander leaves and give a stir.
- Once its done, turn off the flame and allow to cool down.
- Grind all the mixture in a blender or mixie, coarsely.
- Transfer the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Enjoy this chutney with hot idli/dosa.
This recipe was contributed by Priya Alagappan on 17 Oct 2014I lives in UK with my family. Cooking is one of my hobbies. I love to cook different varities of foo...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.