Chettinad Curry ( Microwave Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 23 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 23870 times
A spicy curry that characterises the fiery weather and dynamic temperament of tamilnadu. The chettinad style is one of the main regional cuisines of tamilnadu. The cuisine is famous for its fried and steamed snacks, and spicy side-dishes. It is normally quite pungent even though the recipes use a significant amount of rich and bland ingredients like coconut, coconut milk, cashews and khus-khus. This particular rice accompaniment takes a long time to cook but you will enjoy the outcome. Plus, the dish can also be made in advance and refrigerated for up to a week.
- Place 1 cup of water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from the microwave and soak the poppy seeds and cashewnuts in it for 5 minutes. Keep aside.
- Add the oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, add all the remaining ingredients, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Add the cashewnuts, poppy seeds and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Make 4 slits on the tomatoes and place them on a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 2½ minutes.
- Remove, de-skin and deseed the tomatoes. Chop them finely and keep aside.
- Combine the mixed vegetables with ½ cup of water and microwave on high for 12 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Add the oil in another microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, add the onions, garlic and ginger, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground paste and curry leaves and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and coconut milk, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||410.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||42.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||44.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.