Chawli Bean Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 62 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 85065 times
This unique Chawli Bean Subzi is sure to please your palate with its exciting sweet, sour and spicy flavour. With tamarind, jaggery and chilli powder, not to forget a quick and traditional tempering, the fiber and iron-rich chawli bean becomes a tangy treat that you will love to munch on!
Use the small variety of chawli to get the best texture and flavour. Serve this subzi fresh and hot to enjoy its vibrant flavours before they begin to pale.
- Combine the chawli, salt and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside. Do not drain the water
- Heat a deep non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and dry roast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked chawli (along with the liquid), turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind pulp and jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 110 cal|
|Protein|| 6.5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 20.3 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.3 gm|
|Fiber|| 4.3 gm|
|Iron|| 2.5 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.