Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20781 times
Channa bhatura is a popular punjabi snack or meal recipe with kabuli chana or chickpeas cooked in a spicy onion-tomato based gravy and served with fried indian bread called bhatura. Learn how to make chana bhatura at home with this easy to prepare, delicious channa bhatura recipe.
- Pressure cook the kabuli chana along with the tea bag and bay leaves for 3 to 4 whistles or till the chana are cooked.
- Allow the steam tp escape before opening the lid.
- Discard the bay leaf and tea bag and keep 5 tbsp kabuli chana aside. Keep aside.
- Combine the 1/2 of the tomatoes, onions, 5 tbsp channa and 1/2 tbsp coriander and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Chop the remaining tomatoes and onions finely and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and onions and saute till tender.
- Add the grounded channa paste and saute for more 3-4 minutes.
- Add all dry masalas, except the cinnamon and clove powder, mix well and saute till the oil separates.
- Add the drained channa and 2 cups water which was drained from channa, mix well and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes or till gravy becomes thick.
- Pour into serving dish.
- Heat ghee in a small sauce pan and add the chillies and cinnamon-cloves powder.
- Add the coriander and pour hot over the channa.
- Squeeze lemon juice over channa and mix well.
- Keep aside.
- Sieve together flour, salt and soda.
- Add the curds and oil, mix well and add enough milk and knead into a soft pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth and keep aside for 5-6 hours.
- Knead dough again and divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion into a circle of 5" diameter.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry turning only once, till very light golden in colour.
- Serve hot with hot channa and slices of onions and lemon.
This recipe was contributed by zerinb on 23 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.