Chana, Toovar and Green Moong Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 61 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45241 times
Known traditionally as the trevati dal, this is a protein-rich combination of chana, toovar and green moong dals prepared in an authentic indian style, with aromatic spices and powders, onions, tomatoes, ginger, chillies, et al. This is something you can cook every day, as it is neither rich nor fat-laden. Have this dal as part of your breakfast or lunch menu, and you are sure to have enough energy to face the rest of the day confidently and cheerfully. Using green moong dal ensures you get a lot more dietary fibre and b-complex vitamins too. You can omit the onion, ginger and garlic to make a jain version too.
- Clean, wash and soak the dals in water about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the soaked dals, salt and 2 ½ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, green chillies, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and turmeric powder and stir well, cooking till the oil separates from the masala.
- Add the dals and 1 cup of water, lemon juice and salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with the chopped coriander.
- To make a "jain" trevati dal, omit the onions, ginger and garlic and proceed as per the recipe.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||132.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||6.8 mg|
|Folic Acid||56.5 mcg|
RECIPE SOURCE : Dals
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.