Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25263 times
Discover the secret of preparing the best and simplest Chana dal with a collection of dal recipe, lentil recipe and beans dishes at tarladalal.com
- Put the dal in a heavy pot along with 5 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and remove any surface scum. add the turmeric and ginger.
- Cover, leaving the lid just very slightly ajar, turn heat to low, and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours or until the dal is tender.
- Stir every 5 minutes or so during the last half hour of cooking to prevent sticking. remove ginger.
- Heat the ghee in a small frying pan over a medium flame.
- When hot, put in the cumin seeds. a couple of seconds later, put in the garlic. stir and fry until the garlic pieces are lightly browned.
- Put the chili powder into the pan.
- Immediately lift the pan off the heat and pour its entire contents - ghee and spices - into the pot with the dal. stir till done.
This recipe was contributed by mcgraff on 13 Oct 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.