Carrot Ginger Soup
by pragya bharti
Added to 5 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5960 times
The bright orange color of this soup will provide color to your table as well as please your guests' appetites. the combination of sweet carrots, hot-spicy ginger and cool mint works well together.
Add your private note
Carrot Ginger Soup recipe - How to make Carrot Ginger Soup
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
2 tbsp margarine1 large onion , chopped1 1/2 pounds (about 10 medium) , peeled and sliced carrots3 tbsp peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger (adrak)2 cloves of garlic (lehsun) , crushed
5 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth or canned low-sodium broth1 spring of fresh thyme , or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme1/4 tsp freshly crushed black pepper , or more to taste1 bayleaf (tejpatta) , dried and fresh1/2 cup full fat milk or low fat milk salt to taste1 cup curds (dahi), at room temperature2 tbsp chopped mint leaves (phudina) or any other fresh herbs like chives, thyme , tarragon or dill, or a combination
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, cover tightly, and cook, stirring often until the onion is golden, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, thyme, pepper and bay leaf. bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. simmer, partially covered, until the carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf.
- In batches, purée the vegetables and liquid in a blender or food processor. pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the milk.
- season to taste with salt and additional pepper and reheat over medium heat until piping hot.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top each serving with a dollop of the yogurt and a sprinkling of mint or other herbs.
This recipe was contributed by pragya bharti on 30 Aug 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.