Caramelised Capsicum Crostini ( Diabetic Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 59 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 21556 times
A crostini is a small toast topped with a variety of ingredients, which is served as an appetiser. Native to Tuscany, the crostini range offers several classic toppings to choose from. This one consists of caramelised pepper and olives that are bound with cheese, used atop crusty whole wheat bread.
This is perhaps the best crostini of all and is perfect for serving with drinks before a meal. Note that I have used just 1 tsp of sugar to caramelise the ingredients. Also, mozzarella cheese contains less fat compared to cooking cheese.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the sugar and allow to caramalise.
- When golden brown, add the onions, garlic and capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the mixed herbs, salt and pepper, mix well and sauté on a high flame for another minute, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread on a flat dry surface, spread a portion of the topping evenly on the bread and top with 1 tbsp cheese and a few slices of olives.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 7 more crostinis.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 5 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve the topping on cream crackers as a variation.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per crostini
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.