Cabbage and Chana Dal Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 81 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 52960 times
This is typical south indian everyday subzi. Soaked chana dal and shredded cabbage, tempered traditionally and garnished with grated coconut. The cabbage and chana dal subzi is an easy, no-fuss preparation. You can prepare other veggies like carrots, french beans, broad beans and even beetroot in a similar way. Likewise, you can use soaked moong dal too instead of chana dal for a change.
- Soak the chana dal in enough water in a bowl for 30 minutes and drain well.
- Boil a vesselful of water, add the chana dal and blanch it in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, discard the water and keep the chana dal aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage, chana dal, turmeric powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut, coriander and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.