Cabbage Kootu ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 58 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 52364 times
A versatile, traditional south indian recipe, which goes just as well with rice as with puris or chapatis.
- Combine the cabbage with ½ cup of water, turmeric powder and salt in a deep pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the cabbage turns soft.
- Add the moong dal, mash lightly using the back of a spoon and simmer for a minute. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the chana dal and red chillies and stir till the chana dal turns pale golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies, asafoetida and the ground paste and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal cabbage mixture, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Serve hot.
- You can also make this recipe in a ‘quick fix’ manner, where you can skip the paste and instead add a few spoons of sambhar powder to the veggies and dal when they are being cooked and a few spoons of grated coconut to the seasoning.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.