Butter Murruku Recipe, South Indian Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7096 times
Our Indian cuisine abounds with varieties of jar snacks , which add sparkle to a cup of tea or coffee!
One such gem from the South Indian repertoire is Butter Murukku, a melt-in-the-mouth savoury snack made with a dough of rice flour, urad flour and besan. A dash of whole spices like cumin and sesame contribute to the aroma and flavour of the murukku, increasing its irresistibility quotient.
When pressing the murukku through a chakli maker, make sure you press it directly into the oil. Also, ensure that you fry small batches at a time without over-crowding the oil, which tends to make the dough clump together.
You can also try other recipes like Bajra Chakli and Nutritious Chaklis .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Take a portion of the dough and press it into a greased chakli “press” and cover it with the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, press holding the chakli maker directly on top of the oil and let the murruku directly fall in the hot oil.
- Do not over crowd the deep non-stick pan with a lot of murruku and deep-fry them on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Cool and serve or store in an air-tight container.
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||343.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||16.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.