Buckwheat and Sprouts Khichdi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 45549 times
Buckwheat and Sprouts Khichdi, is light on the stomach, yet filling and nourishing. The aroma of this khichdi is irresistible, as it has been cooked with an appropriate selection of spices.
Moong dal and sprouts are a good source of protein, making this a very healthy and wholesome choice for pregnant women. Buckwheat is commonly called as kutto or kutti no daro – in case you have any trouble making your local grocer understand!
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cloves, peppercorns and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the buckwheat and yellow moong dal and sauté on a slow flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the mixed sprouts, turmeric powder, salt and 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
Nutrient values Per serving
|Energy|| 223 kcal|
|Protein|| 10.3 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 39.5 gm|
|Fat|| 2.6 gm|
|Fibre|| 5.7 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 28.7 mcg|
|Calcium|| 47.0 mg|
|Iron|| 6.7 mg|
|Folic Acid|| 33.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.