Brown Rice – Parsi Style
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 166 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27555 times
A simple dish of long-grained rice cooked with whole spices and onions is a treat, when you prepare it the way the Parsis do!
What makes this dish different from usual pulaos is that the rice is sautéed with the spices and onions till it turns a light brown in colour, and only then it is cooked with water.
This gives the Parsi Style Brown Rice a rich flavour and aroma, not to forget the appetizing colour too. Enjoy this steaming hot with a bowl of Dhan Saak Dal.
- Soak the rice in enough water in a deep bowl for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 minutes or till the sugar caramelizes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of water, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cinnamon, cloves and onions and sauté on a medium flame 5 to 6 minutes or till the onions turn brown in colour.
- Add the rice and sauté on slow flame for 6 to 7 minutes or till the rice turns light brown colour.
- Add the sugar-water mixture and salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with dhan saak dal.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||58.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||4.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.