Brown Bread ( Low Calorie)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 715 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 184336 times
Who can resist a slice of fresh warm bread spattered with honey! With minimal ingredients and a very easy method, this Brown Bread recipe is a sure-shot way to make tasty, low-calorie whole wheat bread at home.
If you wish to make bread, the first thing to do is learn how to handle the yeast – the temperature of the water is very important to activate the yeast. If the water is too hot or too cold, the yeast-water mixture will not froth at all, and you are unlikely to get soft and spongy bread. But, once you take care to activate your yeast with lukewarm water, then making this Brown Bread is a breeze.
With a mild tinge of olive oil and the comforting aroma of homemade bread, this recipe is sure to steal your heart.Create tasty sandwiches and toasts like Baked Corn Open Toast , Carrot and Celery Sandwich , Crispy Asparagus Rolls , Cottage Cheese and Dill Canapés , Mushroom Oregano Open Sandwich , Potato Tikki Sandwich etc. using brown bread.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and ¼ cup of warm water in a bowl, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and yeast-sugar mixture in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough using enough warm water.
- Add the olive oil and knead very well till the dough is smooth.
- Shape the dough into a proper round using both your hands while tucking the edges at the bottom.
- Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and keep aside in a warm place for 45 minutes or till the dough is double in size.
- Sprinkle the whole wheat flour over a smooth, flat surface, place the dough over it and knead it very well using both your hands. If the dough is getting sticky while kneading, then sprinkle little whole wheat flour as required.
- Tap the dough with your fingers and spread it to make a 250 mm. X 200 mm. (10” x 8”) diameter oval shape.
- Roll the dough to make a 200 mm. (8”) long cylindrical roll and place it in a greased bread loaf tin. Cover it with a dry muslin cloth and again keep aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180°c (360°f) and bake it for 20 minutes.
- Once the bread loaf is slightly cooled, de-mould it and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Brush the bread loaf with little olive oil.
- Once the bread loaf has cooled completely, cut it into 13 mm. ( ½’) bread slices.
- Serve immediately or use as required.
Nutrient values per slice
|Vitamin A||8.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.