Brinjal Rasavangy, South Indian Brinjal Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 74 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39171 times
- Heat the oil in a small pan, add all the ingredients and sauté on a slow flame till they release flavour, while stirring continuously (approx. 5 to 7 minutes).
- When cool, add 2 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the toovar dal and 1 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Whisk the dal lightly and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, curry leaves, tomatoes, brinjals and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the turmeric powder, sambhar powder, tamarind water and jaggery, mix well, cover and cook on a medium flame till the brinjal is cooked, stirring once in between.
- Add the cooked dal and prepared paste, mix gently and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring once in between. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||277.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||14.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||58.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.