Brinjal Flower Vase ( Vegetable Carvings)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 81157 times
A colourful cornucopia with radishes and spring onions for a cheerful sunday brunch party. A picturesque sight that entices your senses as you dig into the flavourful dishes.
Add your private note
Brinjal Flower Vase ( Vegetable Carvings) recipe - How to make Brinjal Flower Vase ( Vegetable Carvings)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 1 vase
- Place the brinjal on a chopping board and make a cut around 1 ½” to 2” away from the top, using a knife. Keep the small portion of the brinjal aside.
- Using a carving knife, make a deep cut along the rim of the big portion from the inner side. This makes it easier to cut out a proper shape.
- Use a carving knife to make zigzag marks along the edges and remove the cut triangles with the help of your thumb. Keep aside.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the smaller portion of the brinjal as well. Keep aside.
- Using a scooper, scoop out the flesh of the big portion of the brinjal so that you get a vase with a ½” thick wall.
- Secure the big and small portions of the brinjal with the help of 1 to 2 toothpicks. Keep aside.
- Peel the red radish and cut into thin slices.
- On a toothpick, pierce and arrange 4 to 5 slices of red radish to resemble a flower.
- Peel the carrot and cut small triangles from it. Insert a triangle over the radish flower to secure the petals. Repeat steps 7 to 9 to make 2 more flowers. Keep aside.
- Take a spring onion and cut the greens so that they remain intact at the top. Discard the spring onion white and use it to make something else.
- Place the spring onion green on a chopping board and use a carving knife to make long slits at regular intervals. Make two more spring onion leaves for the bouquet. Using the knife, curl the spring onion leaves a little.
- Place the spring onion leaves in a bowl of ice-cold water for 15 minutes. This will make them crisp and curl the leaves.
- Place the brinjal (vase) on a flat surface. Pierce a satay stick in the centre of the spring onion green form the side it is intact. Pierce the satay stick in the hollow space of the brinjal (vase).
- Pierce other spring onion green leaves and red radish flowers to complete the bouquet.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.