Bread Uttapam Recipe, Instant Breakfast
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10365 times
Sometimes we crave for a snack but realise that alas, we have not prepared for it earlier! When you feel such a strong desire to have a hot and fluffy uttapam but do not have the batter on hand, go for this instant version, made with a batter of bread and semolina!
It tastes and feels just as good as authentic uthappam with the added advantage of being really easy and quick, without any soaking or fermentation time.
We have added some juicy and crunchy veggies to boost the appeal of the Bread Uthappam, which is made even more exciting by the mildly spicy notes of green chillies and ginger.
This is a good way to make use of leftover bread, and can also be made instantly when you have sudden guests.
Serve it immediately with a chatpata accompaniment like Green Chutney or Sambhar .
- Combine the torn bread pieces, semolina, plain flour, curds and approx. ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off using a piece of cloth. Grease it using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava (griddle), spread in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5") diameter thick circle.
- Pour ½ tsp of oil on the top and edges and cook on a medium flame till it turns light brown in colour both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make 8 more uttapas.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per uttapa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.