Bread Pakoda, Mumbai Bread Pakora with Aloo Stuffing
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 273 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 328135 times
For those who thought Vada Pav and Pav Bhaji to be the only bread-based roadside snacks, Bread Pakoda is sure to be an eye-opener.
Although these batter-fried bread fritters are available all over the country, Mumbai’s street-side vendors have their signature creations, which are a class apart. Prepared with or without fillings such as aloo and green peas, this mouth-watering deep-fried snack gets all the more exciting when topped with a variety of chutneys. Enjoy it hot and fresh off the Kadhai customized to your taste.
A perfect snack to have to have as an evening tea snack with a cup of hot Masala Chai or cool Falooda .
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, green peas, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for one minute.
- Divide into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread on a clean, dry and flat surface and spread a portion of the aloo masala evenly over it.
- Place another slice of bread over it, press lightly and cut it diagonally into 2 equal pieces.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, dip one piece at a time in the batter and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp and golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 3 more bread pakodas.
- Serve immediately with meetha chutney, teekha chutney or sukha lehsun ka chutney.
- For the aloo stuffing in this recipe, you may avoid using green peas if required. Further, you may also use leftover batata vada mixture as a filling for this recipe.
- Make these bhajjis without the stuffing! apply teekha chutney and sukha lehsun ka chutney between the bread slices, coat with batter and deep fry.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.