Brazilian Surprise Cake ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20965 times
This south american cake is sure to surprise you – of course, pleasantly!
- Combine the milk chocolate truffle with whipped cream and whisk well. Keep this milk chocolate cream aside.
- Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 parts (1 thick and 1 thin layer).
- Soak the thick layer of the sponge cake with ½ the sugar syrup.
- Spread ½ the milk chocolate cream on the soaked layer of the cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, pour the dark chocolate mousse in a 100 mm. (4”) diameter dome-shaped tin and refrigerate for 2 hours approx. To set.
- Unmould the tin onto the centre of the cake.
- Cover this mousse dome with the thin layer of the sponge cake and press it gently so the sponge sticks to the mousse well.
- Soak the thin layer of the cake with the remaining sugar syrup and spread the remaining milk chocolate cream evenly on all sides of the dome.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- To make the chocolate fan, spread a little melted chocolate in a thin layer on a clean formica / granite or marble surface using a palate knife.
- With light pressure, run the dough cutter down the chocolate layer. You simply want to scrape off a small layer, not cut into the chocolate. As you are creating your fan shape, you can use your free hand to guide the strip of chocolate into gentle folds, waves, or a fan shape.
- If your hands are very warm and start melting the chocolate, use thin plastic gloves.
- Keep it aside on a butter paper.
- Melt the remaining chocolate again and cool to room temperature, while stirring continuously.
- When cool but still saucy, pour on the top of the cake.
- Tap the cake board a little so it spreads evenly on top and at the sides.
- Garnish with chocolate fan on top.
- Cut into 6 equal wedges and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.