Black Bean Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39728 times
There is a great feel-good factor booster in this protein-rich recipe! black bean dal is a tasty and wholesome dal, which is also very easy to make. All in all, a lot of good things in one package! you just need to remember to plan ahead and soak the dal overnight, and then the tomatoes, onions and common spice powders will work their magic.
- Combine the black beans, salt, soda bi-carb and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal (including the water), mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with a sprig of coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.