Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 22532 times
A spicy bitter gourd or karela vegetable preparation. . . . Bittergourd pitlai is a typical south indian recipe. The pitlai is easy to prepare and quite healthy!
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a kadhai, add the red chillies, 1 tbsp of chana dal and coriander seeds and saute for 2 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer along with coconut into smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook the toovar dal and remaining 2 tbsp of chana dal till soft. Keep aside.
- Heat enough water in a deep pan, add the bitter gourd slices along with salt, turmeric powder, 2 tbsp of tamarind juice and cook till the bitter gourd are cooked.
- Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Boil remaining tamarind juice for a while, add the ground paste and mix well and cook.
- Add the cooked bitter gourd bits and cooked dals and mix well. When the liquid starts boiling, remove from the flame and season with mustard, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by sumagandlur on 17 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.