Bhoona Khichdi (a Bengali Delicacy)
by Foodie #623183
This recipe has been viewed 3440 times
Bhoona khichdi is something the Bengalis offer to God in any Puja.BGobindo bhog rice is essential to get the perfect aromatic bhoona khicdi for puja. In puja usually vegetables are not added. For daily eating,basmati rice can be used and adding vegetables is a good choice to make it more healthy protein food. Bengali people prefer to have this on rainy days with some pakoda or fish fry. It is an easy one pot dish. Perfect for single cooking too.
Add your private note
Bhoona Khichdi (a Bengali Delicacy) recipe - How to make Bhoona Khichdi (a Bengali Delicacy)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 2 to 3 servings
- Soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan, add the peanuts, cashew, raisins, and fry for 2 minutes on a high flame.
- When they starts to get brown,take out of the oil and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil and ghee(more ghee,more he taste) in the pan.
- When oil is hot, add the panch phoron.
- When it splutters, add the ginger,green chillies and tej patta. Stir for a minute.
- Now add the cauliflower florets,potato cubes and green peas. Add a little salt to it and stir for 3-4 minutes until gets a little soft.
- Then add the moong dal and drained rice to the pan. Add turmeric and salt to taste. Stir the rice and dal to coat evenly with oil/ghee for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the water. Cook with the lid on for 15-20 minutes until the water is soaked.
- After 5 minutes, add a pinch of sugar. The sugar helps the dal to get cooked well.
- When the water is soaked, stir the khichdi once and check if the vegeatables are boiled enough.
- Switch off the heat and keep the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with papad,pakoda,sabji or fish fry.
This recipe was contributed by Foodie #623183 on 20 Nov 2014I love to cook and try new recipes. Specially interested in healthy recipes.
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.