Bharvan Simla Mirch
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31740 times
A rich and tasty treat that is sure to pamper you, the Bharvan Simla Mirch is a grand preparation of capsicum, stuffed with a delectable mixture of potatoes, capsicum and spices, drowned in a luscious tomato gravy.
A combination of tomatoes and cashewnuts gives the gravy a tangy flavour, a creamy consistency, and a richness beyond description. The potato mixture stuffed into the capsicum is also super tasty, because of the work of spice powders like garam masala and amchur, which give it an enjoyable tang and spiciness.
The Punjabi delicacy does take a little time to prepare, but it is completely worth the effort. Relish it with hot Paneer Kulcha or Butter Naan .
Add your private note
Bharvan Simla Mirch recipe - How to make Bharvan Simla Mirch
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, dried mango powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, garam masala and 1 tsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Divide the stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the tomatoes, cashewnuts and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the tomato-cashewnut mixture into a mixer and blend till smooth without using any water.
- Strain the mixture using a sieve and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the prepared tomato-cashewnut mixture, chilli powder, sugar, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Cut the stem of all the capsicum. Cut each capsicum into halve vertically and deseed them.
- Stuff each hollow capsicum halve with a portion of the prepared stuffing. Keep aside.
- Combine the besan, chilli powder and salt with 4 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the besan mixture into 8 equal portions and spread a portion of the besan mixture evenly over each stuffed capsicum.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, place the stuffed capsicum with the besan mixture sides facing downwards and cook them on a slow flame for 2 minutes or till they turn golden brown in colour from its base.
- Turn-over the capsicum, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Combine the stuffed capsicum and the prepared gravy in a deep non-stick pan, mix gently, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally or till the capsicum turn soft.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.