Bharleli Vaangi, Pressure Cooker Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49840 times
Bharleli Vaangi is a semi-dry subzi that is very popular in Maharashtra.
It is one of those magical recipes that has withstood the test of time, and remains popular across generations thanks to its tongue-tickling taste and ease of preparation.
The brinjals are stuffed with a freshly-ground masala, made of peanuts, coconut, tamarind, jaggery and spices, and cooked for a while with a little more masala and a traditional tempering.
As the brinjals soften, the masala mingles with it to give a thoroughly tasty treat with shades of spiciness, tanginess and a touch of sweetness too. Some people also use goda masala or malvani masala in this recipe, and you can also do so if you wish.
This variant of Bharleli Vaangi is cooked in a pressure cooker, which makes it easier and quicker to make. Serve it with rice or rotis.
Try other Maharashtrian recipes like Maharashtrian Pitla or Maharashtrian Kothimbir Vadi.
- Make a criss-cross slit on each brinjal taking care not to separate the segments.
- Stuff each brinjal evenly with the prepared masala mixture and keep the remaining mixture aside for later use.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the remaining masala mixture and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the stuffed brinjals and 1/3 cup of hot water, mix gently and pressure cook on a high flame for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.