Bhaat Na Rasawala Muthia ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 277 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 128178 times
Bhaat na rasawala muthia is one of the most interesting ways to use leftover rice, and reflects two general traits of gujaratis—they prefer to have a light meal in the evenings, and never like to waste cooked rice! simply-flavoured muthias made with cooked rice and simmered in a spiced curd mixture, this dish leaves the diner satisfied but does not overload the stomach—all of which makes it an ideal choice for the evenings.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough, using water only if required.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into a cylindrical roll approx. 75 mm. (3") lengthwise. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and 3½ cups of water, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Combine the curds with 1 tbsp of the above water, mix well and add it back to the pan. .
- Bring the mixture to boil and slowly add the muthias one at a time.
- Simmer for 5 minutes till the muthias are firm and cooked, while stirring once very gently in between.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- When adding muthias to the mixture, add one muthia and check. If it disintegrates add a little besan to the muthia mixture, mix well and continue as per the recipe.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.