Besan Laddoo ( Mithai)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 834 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 475741 times
Besan Laddoo is one of the most popular mithai in Indian cuisine. It might be known by various names, but this delicious laddoos of spiced and sweetened besan is famous all over the country.
When making this, remember that the rich flavour of the laddoo depends on how well you cook the besan. Under-cooking it will leave behind a raw taste, which will ruin the whole recipe. So, make sure you cook it well. The proportion of ghee and besan is also important as you might end up with a dry or very soft laddoo if it is not done right.
Once you have the mix ready, take some in your palm, shape it into a round and keep rolling it in your hand till you get a smooth, lustrous, ghee-tinted texture on the surface. It will look so irresistible at this stage that you would just want to pop it into your mouth! That’s when the laddoo is ready.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the besan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 13 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame and keep stirring for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the mixture into a plate and keep aside to cool for 1 hour or till the mixture cools down completely.
- Add the sugar, coarsely powdered almonds , cardamom powder and mix well while rubbing the mixture in between your palms till it gets a crumbly texture.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and shape it into a round laddoo.
- Repeat step 5 to shape 17 more laddoos.
- Garnish with almond slivers and store in an air-tight container.
- These can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for 15 days.
Nutrient values per ladoo
|Vitamin A||140 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||53.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.