Besan Chila Sandwich ( Tiffin Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 73 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27685 times
It is surprising how two contrasting items – traditonal chila and whole wheat bread slices – work well in harmony to create a satiating sandwich! While you are sure to have had chila before, you would never have thought of using it as the stuffing for a sandwich! Interestingly, the rustic flavour of besan, the crunch of veggies like tomatoes and onions, and mild spice powders used to flavour the chila act as a nice filling for the sandwich, somewhat like the patties in a burger! While chila by itself might dry up when packed for tiffin, the Besan Chila Sandwich remains moist and flavourful for at least four hours, so it can be comfortably packed in the snack box. Pack some Banana Pepper Wafers in another tiffin for a crunchy bite.
- Combine all the ingredients along with approx. ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix very well till no lumps remain.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly using oil.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle.
- Smear a little oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the chila turns brown in colour.
- Flip over and cook on the other side as well.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 6 more chilas.
- Keep aside to cool completely.
- Place 2 bread slices on a clean, dry surface, apply little butter on it, place 1 chila on a bread slice , spread 1 tbsp of tomato ketchup evenly over it and finally cover with another buttered bread slice with the buttered side facing downwards.
- Cut the sandwich diagonally into 2 pieces.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 6 more sandwiches.
- Wrap them in an aluminium foil and pack in a tiffin box.
Nutrient values per sandwich
|Vitamin A||233.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||36.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.