Besan Barfi, Indian Sweet
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 8177 times
Richness personified yet unbelievably easy to make, the Besan Barfi is an Indian sweet that even beginners can make very quickly. The secret of this recipe’s success lies in the proportions of ingredients and the smart methods of cooking them.
The use of besan together with semolina gives the barfi a rich, slightly coarse mouth-feel like some exotic badam based barfi while the proper procedure of roasting these two ingredients well gives a nice aroma and taste.
Laced with cardamom and garnished with almonds, the Besan Barfi is a temptation none can resist!
You can also try other Indian sweets like the Sweet Potato Halwa and Malai Barfi .
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the besan and rava, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Put the mixture into a greased 225 mm. (9”) by 125 mm. (5”) diameter rectangle tin and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the almond slivers evenly over it and press it lightly.
- Cut into 10 equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Keep it aside for 2 hours.
- Serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values per barfi
|Vitamin A||126 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.