Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5782 times
You can substitute beetroot with carrot too.
Add your private note
Beetroot Theeyal recipe - How to make Beetroot Theeyal
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Cut beetroot into small pieces of approximately 1 1/2" length.
- Boil these beetroot along with green chilli and 1 cup water until soft.
- Add the tamarind pulp, salt and turmeric, mix well and simmer.
- Meanwhile, fry the grated coconut in little oil until golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the other ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Cool and blend these masalas along with coconut to make a fine paste.
- Add this ground paste to the beetroot, mix well and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add more water and mix well.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan and add the mustard, curry leaves and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, pour this tempering to the sambhar and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
This recipe was contributed by praksuj on 17 Aug 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.